Chapter 3: Experiments in Utopia: Colonial Paper Money as Legal Tender
- Which was the first colony to issue paper money and why did they do it?
- Who is considered the father of paper money?
- What were four virtues of government issued paper script?
- What are the two types of script the colonies issued and how were they different?
- What ultimately happened with the bills of credit? Why?
- Ben Franklin went to England in 1764. Why did he go and what did he find when he got there?
- Was Franklin successful? What resulted?
- How was the war financed?
- What was the British response?
Chapter 4: How the Government was Persuaded to Borrow Its Own Money
- What does the Constitution say about money?
- How much was the Revolutionary War debt and what was Treasury Secretary Alexander Hamilton’s plan for it?
- Who opposed this and why?
- Who won out? How?
- How did the bank work?
- What happened with the Hamilton – Jefferson feud?
Chapter 5: From Matriarchies of Abundance to Patriarchies of Debt
- In Sumer what role did the temples play?
- What icon is associated with the goddess Inanna and what analogy to money does it have?
- What is fiat money?
- What was the fiat money in medieval England?
- How long did a laborer in the Middle ages have to work each year to provide for his family?