DN Wednesday, December 29, 2010: Discuss the following questions with your family:
- Allan Nairn believes that the middle class should pay the indigenous people back for their “unearned inheritance” – good food, clean water, safe neighborhoods, warm houses, all “given” to them while they were watching cartoons on a Saturday morning. Is this true? Did our generation get all the basics for a good and secure life without anyone having to work for it? Should the working class pay taxes for reparations for the stolen gold decorating Versailles and the Vatican?
- Is there another way to pay reparations forward, so that every child seven generations from now is born with the opportunity for a good and secure life? Speculate on some ways that this could be accomplished.
- What is Allan Nairn’s relationship to Amy Goodman historically? How was his skull fractured in East Timor?
- Would it be a good thing for US labor to compete with Chinese sweatshop workers, even if they demand higher wages? Why or why not? Will this increase employment in the US?
- Do you agree with Allan Nairn that the US military is a terrorist organization and that paying taxes is giving material support to them?
1 Response to Paying Reparations Forward